Galaxy S3 I9300 can now be updated to the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware, thanks to the release of ParanoidAndroid v3.97 custom ROM by XDA Recognised Contributor, gokussjx. The latest build of ParanoidAndroid ROM offers a fast and stable Jelly Bean experience with hybrid mode user-interface (UI) support (toggle between tablet and smartphone UI) for Galaxy S3.
The ROM also introduces a host of bug-fixes and feature enhancements over its previous build (v3.65) for enhanced system performance. Head over to the official developer source page (check the link below) to learn about bug-fixes and enhancements ported into this ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The ParanoidAndroid v3.97 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone’s Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for nay device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 GT_I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via ParanoidAndroid 3.97 ROM
1. Connect and mount the phone’s USB mass storage on computer using original USB cable
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone’s SD card
3. Turn off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer
4. Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together to boot the device into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then click Backup on the next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, navigate to the ParanoidAndroid 3.97 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7. But choose the Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, download and install the NFC-fix. Then return to the main recovery menu and click Wipe Cache Partition and wait until process is complete. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. NOTE: This will prevent intermittent boot loop issues and other ROM related errors.
10. Now, hit reboot system now to boot-up the phone into the newly installed ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
11. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based ParanoidAndroid 3.97 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
For further assistance in installing the ParanoidAndroid 3.97 ROM, check out the video tutorial below:
[Source: XDA Developers]
- ParanoidAndroid 3.97 beta available on the HTC EVO 4G LTE (pocketables.com)
- Galaxy S3 I9300 – Android 4.3 CyanogenMod 10.2 Custom ROM Update (technostall.com)